Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Children of intermarriage, unite!


My piece on the Half-Jewish Network went live today at Jew-ish.com. It's an intriguing organization, and the topic of intermarriage is a real Pandora's box in Jewish circles, so I look forward to future discussions of it on the Jew-ish blog. I happen currently to be reading a borrowed copy of Doron Kornbluth's Why Marry Jewish?, a calm, thoughtful argument against intermarriage based on studies suggesting it makes life difficult for couples and their children. Kornbluth's thesis is that the added difficulty isn't worth it. It's interesting to get the other side's views (I remain unconvinced that intermarriage is as harmful as Kornbluth says), and I hope to write about the book soon. As I read it, I can't help but think of Jerry Mander's Four Arguments for the Elimination of Television -- another book-length essay that swam against the cultural tide in the name of what (the author thought) was best for humankind.

No comments: