Monday, July 28, 2008

I ♥ the "American Teen" soundtrack


It's such an indie-pop/indie-rock feast. What I love is that some tracks, like Black Kids' "I'm Not Gonna Teach Your Boyfriend How to Dance With You," have a built-in '80s sound (especially the synth-powered intro), nicely echoing the poster's Breakfast Club allusion and the whole John Hughes mini-genre in general. There's such a great mix of danceable rock stuff (the Ting Tings' "Great DJ," Does It Offend You, Yeah?'s "Dawn of the Dead" -- the latter also, to my ears, an '80s throwback) and glassier, more introspective pop songs (Sunny Day Sets Fire's eerie "Lack of View," the terrific Jason Bentley remix of Frou Frou's "Breathe In," which adds welcome layers to an already layered song). Even if you haven't seen the movie, you might consider grabbing a few of these songs from iTunes; if you've seen it, and you fell in love with the soundtrack the way I did, go ahead and get the whole damn thing. It hangs together beautifully as an album and serves as an excellent companion to the narrative. MGMT's "Kids," which is just gorgeous, reminds me every time of the lovely "Where are they now?" sequence at the end, which is one of the best of that sort that I've seen. See the movie, get the soundtrack, become a fan of Hannah Bailey on Facebook. There. Done raving.

No comments: