Wednesday, March 4, 2009

News feed


Since my last post, a bunch has happened. To wit:
  • My boss pointed out author-provocateur (provocateuse?) Norah Vincent's newest outrageous, ethically questionable piece of muckraking;
  • my former NWsource.com colleague Jon Palmer drew my attention to the Times' new blog, Coffee City;
  • Facebook revealed plans for another big facelift;
  • and former Seattle Weekly managing editor Chuck Taylor -- aka my former boss -- unveiled his new Seattle Post-Post-Intelligencer wiki, just one of many online responses to the probably imminent demise of the Seattle P-I. Chuck has been interested in the topic of technology and journalism for a long time, so it's good to see him stay ahead of the curve.
In more personal news, I:
  • visited my half-sister Lore in Los Angeles and took a lot of pictures (the image above is of a public high school, believe it or not);
  • watched The Class, the Heroes pilot, and Atonement, the last of which was better than I thought it would be (The Class and Heroes were, respectively, quite good and just fine);
  • saw the Irish band Lunasa perform on a wonderfully warm night;
  • read quite a bit of Curtis Sittenfeld's American Wife, which I'm really enjoying;
  • began to realize that my 20 daily milligrams of Celexa aren't, thus far, measuring up to my previous prescription, 10 milligrams of Lexapro;
  • visited L.A.'s Central Library;
  • consumed various authentic Mexican delicacies, including candied lime skin stuffed with sugared coconut and watermelon, cantaloupe, and mango cut in pieces, tossed in a plastic bag, and seasoned with chili powder, salt, and lime juice;
  • and got my beloved car, Gracie, back from the mechanic. She's doing fine.
It's been a busy time, and I'm working full days (8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.) until St. Patrick's Day. I'm staying in Seattle this weekend rather than going to Vancouver, as I'd planned to do, because I'm in stop-the-world-I-wanna-get-off mode, and I'd like a few work-free days to cool back down.

No comments: